Thursday, May 8, 2008

Learn of me, and listen to my words


As we witness the unfolding events of the last days, we cannot doubt that in this scripture the Lord is speaking directly to us. We are Israel of the latter days. We are they who must teach our children of Him. Peace that endures is not dependent upon outside forces that are beyond our control. “Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me” (D&C 19:23).
The Lord’s words spoken centuries ago are words of hope and assurance that give comfort to righteous parents who teach their children of Him. They speak to us at a time when peace in the hearts of children can seem but an elusive dream. But the Savior has assured us that it can be a reality if we teach our children. (Anne Wirthlin - Ensign May 1998)



Last night I was so grateful that we went to Stake Conference on Sunday. It was a hectic two hours, I think we were in the hall or potty at least 10x. I loved Elder Bednar's talk and how we are instilling the habits into our children when we read the scriptures with them. I didn't have a clue how to find his talk from a Stake Conference, but I liked Sister Wirthlin's comments also.

As we were reading the scriptures last night, I kept his talk going through my head and "this is worth it, this is worth it" Michael was working late, Emily was screaming "I neber, eber eber want to read the scriptures again!" most of the time while I held her on my lap or held her wrist so she would stay, Allie was exhausted so she just wanted to sleep and Jessica went between cartwheels, helping with Allie and making sure she could read every 10th verse. We did get through the rather long chapter and Emily topped it off by volunteering for the prayer, happily.

I want my kids to have the habit of reading the scriptures so it's not hard for them when they are older, so tonight again we will read. It might be delightful when each has their scriptures and everyone reads or it may be another "this is worth it" night.

1 comments:

Angela said...

Good for you. You are a good example for me. I always say we are going to but it ends up me just telling them a story instead of actually reading from the scriptures. I loved his talk too. He's awesome. Even Hudson listened to it and said "I'm going to start paying attention because there are some good stories". Yah he will be getting baptized soon so it's happening just in time.