Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers


I have been thinking of how we treat others lately. We are becoming a world that people no longer routinely hold doors open for the next person, say "Merry Christmas" or even "Happy Holidays", look at other people as we pass much less give them a smile. So this struck me as amazing when it happened.
My dryer was on the fritz and the girls begged for "soft" clothes so early one Saturday morning we packed up ALL of the laundry for the week, left the baby at home with Dad and headed out to the laundry mat.
We brought in our baskets and I started putting everything into the washing machines and having the girls count out quarters. That's when we found out that I grabbed the bucket with dollar coins instead of quarters (yes, they get sorted at our house - don't ask) Not a big deal to me, I was just going to go trade them for bills so that I could then put them in the machine for quarters. A man saw my kids pulling any quarters out and came over and brought me at least enough quarters to cover all of my laundry. I protested but he just said "I've understand, I've been there before"
All I could think of was - "but I have the money,do we look like we are desperate?" I used his quarters since he wouldn't take them back. I then went and took him dollar coins to give back to him. Again he wouldn't take them. I kept telling him that I had the money to cover the laundry but he would not budge.
For the next couple hours waiting for the laundry it just bugged me that he wouldn't take his money back - I didn't need it.
It took me a while to just accept that he was a nice person. He saw someone in need and gave them something to help them out - just to be kind.
Last week I took Little Miss Persistent to Primary Children's. Yes I realize that they try to pamper kids there, but I have never had so many strangers be so kind to my child before. She was spoiled by 3 seperate strangers while we were there. She wasn't having anything painful or scary done so it wasn't because she was having a traumatic experience, they were kind to her because one noticed she liked to draw; another had her same diagnosis as a kid and said it was a pain and understood and another one just because. She was so excited when she left because people had taken the time to be nice to her.
Boy that got really long - what I meant to say was there really is a lot of good in this world. What would happen if we all used the manners that we were probably taught as a kid and went out of our way to be kind to strangers?

5 comments:

Angela said...

A smile can go a long way. It really isn't hard to just be nice is it Amy? So why can't we or everyone? Even when I don't like someone...i haven't had the audacity to be flat out rude to their face like some people can. I fake it. But lately that spark has gone out of me and I'm tired of trying, so I find myself being rude on purpose to make up for all the hurt these people have caused, but I'm finding it doesn't help. Misery enjoys company. So i'm gonna try harder to put on a happy face. And I have learned that when people (whether strangers or someone you know) do something or say something nice to just accept it, don't fight it, so they can get their blessings too.

Jeni said...

Soooooo true Amy. It's amazing how one little nice act can change your whole day. What a neat post.

Jodi said...

Great post Amy!!! I also agree, what would happen if the whole world just tried a little harder to be a little kinder to everyone they met?? Its always amazing how one kind act makes you feel! I think you a great example of kindness Amy!! Cute stories!!

GINGER said...

This is such a wonderful post. It is so easy to get busy and almost forget about common courtesy. And a simple smile and hello can usually make anyone's day better. Thanks for the reminder and thanks for sharing.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Amy..thanks for reminding me to try a little harder!!! YOu are such a good example of being so kind and helpful to everyone! I love ya! I can't even count how many times you've helped me :)